Colonel Christopher Dunlap is the commander of the 116th Air Control Wing, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. He is responsible for the worldwide employment of theE-8C Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System. The wing trains, mobilizes and deploys combat mission ready aircraft, aircrews, and support personnel to designated theaters of operation and conducts sustained operations providing uninterrupted command, control, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance in support of the Joint Force Air Component Commander.
Colonel Dunlap began his Air Force career as an active duty enlisted aircraft crew chief and then transferred to the Indiana Air National Guard. He completed his undergraduate degree in Business at Indiana State University and was commissioned through the Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tennessee. He went on to serve in the Pennsylvania and Georgia Air National Guard as a navigator and a pilot. He remains qualified as a command pilot and has held leadership positions in the wing, state, and at the National Guard Bureau, encompassing a 34-year span. He has commanded and flown numerous combat missions in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM, Operation ENDURING FREEDOM, Operation NEW DAWN, Operation ODYSSEY DAWN, and Operation UNIFIED PROTECTOR. Prior to assuming his current position, he served as the Director of Operations for the Georgia Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Georgia.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Business Marketing, Indiana State University
2002 Squadron Officer School, Correspondence
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence
2015 Executive Leadership for America, Brookings Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2018 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2018 Master of Strategic Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Leadership in Homeland Security, Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, Mass.
- November 1987–November 1989, T-37 Crew Chief, Reece AFB, Texas
- November 1989–November 1993, F-4E, F-16A Crew Chief, 122nd Fighter Wing, Fort Wayne Air National Guard Station, Ind.
- November 1993–October 1995, KC-135E Navigator, 171st Air Refueling Wing, Pittsburgh International Airport, Pa.
- October 1995–August 1999, B-1B Weapon Systems Officer, 116th Bomb Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
- August 1999–June 2001, B-1B Pilot, 116th Bomb Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
- June 2001–August 2009, E-8C Chief Standardization/Evaluation, 116th Air Control Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
- August 2009–August 2010, Manned ISR Branch Chief, NGB/A2, Andrews AFB, Md.
- August 2010–June 2011, Deputy Commander of Training, 116th Operations Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
- June 2011–December 2012, Director of Operations, 116th Operations Support Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga.
- December 2012–May 2015, Commander 128th Airborne Command and Control Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga.
- May 2015–June 2017, Deputy Commander, 116th Operations Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
- June 2018–January 2019, Director of Staff, Georgia Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Clay National Guard Center, Ga.
- January 2019–September 2019, Vice Commander, 116th Air Control Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
- September 2019–October 2021, Commander, 165th Airlift Wing, Savannah, Ga.
- October 2021–October 2022, Director of Operations, Georgia Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Clay National Guard Center, Ga.
- October 2022–present, Commander, 116th Air Control Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
Rating: navigator and command pilot
Special Qualification: evaluator and instructor pilot
Flight Hours: more than 4,300
Aircraft Flown: T-43, T-37, T-38, KC-135E, KC-135R, B-1B, E-8C, C-130H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Meritorious Service Medal, with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with eight oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Training Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb. 17, 1994
First Lieutenant June 9, 1996
Captain May 7, 1999
Major May 18, 2003
Lieutenant Col Dec. 14, 2008
Colonel June 22, 2018
(Current as of October 2022)